Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Walmart Clematis



Name: Clematis
Variety: Clematis Polish Spirit
Color: Lavender
Type: Perennial Vine
Height: 6' or more
Sun: Shade or Part Sun
Bloom Time: Late May

I purchased this 3 years ago as a root at Walmart. It was rather cheap and I really wasn't out a lot if it didn't grow. The first summer it made progress but I was constantly tying it to the trellis. I did the same in 2006 and 2007. Each year it grew a little more. This spring, though, it is fabulous. It was my intention to have the trellis under the upper deck covered with clematis and now this has the start that is needed to meet my goal.

This is a lovely delicate blue with a large fuzzy middle. It's a little more ornate than the common clematis. My only problem is that when the flower dies back there is a fuzzy mess to clean up. However, it's a small price to pay for this gorgeous show of flowers, which can be seen so beautifully from the path behind the house.

No comments: